Saturday, February 28, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

Well true believers, I'm back in NV. I'm about a week behind in all my classes and I gained back too much weight while I was there, but Cambodia was great! I sure missed Tom and I miss him again, but it was wonderful having all that time with him!

While we were there, we went to Vietnam to see his operations there. Aside from one heck of a fun karaoke night, I found Vietnam rather depressing really.


Here's a bunker in a rice field. Much of the country looked like this. We did go tour some tunnels (not the Coo-Chee ones, but up farther north of Dong Ha - Yes, I know Coo Chee is spelled wrong. Someone comment with the correct spelling?) and that was really cool. We also went to a really interesting museum there too. They talk about the "War of American Agression" in an interesting way, and it's interesteing to see how they represent what went down. For instance, there's a famous picture from Time Magazine of an American soldier jumping off a helecopter and running across a grassy area. The picture was cropped and hung prominently in the section about the war with a caption that said something about how the "American agressor runs in fear as the patriotic soldiers chase him out of their homeland..." or some such rot. It's amazing the spin you can put on something like that. The funny thing is that they all seem to actually believe this version of "history" completely. It would be interesting to know how much of this kind of spin goes on in other countries. *ahem!* *Al Jazeera...*

There were parts that were pretty of course, but it's so different from being in Cambodia or Thailand. The people there just seem so poor and depressed. No one smiles or jokes very much and it seems like everyone is trying to con you for something. I just wouldn't recommend it very much, which is weird. I never thought I'd find a part of SE Asia I didn't really care for.

Cambodia was nice as always. I can't believe how much it's grown up! I think Phnom Penh has grown three times its size from when I was last there in 2006. We drove to Siem Reap, so I got to see some of the country side. We ate at this odd little place overlooking the water which was surprisingly good for as out in the middle of nowhere as it was.
It reminded me a little bit of eating at the Village in Pohnpei, only right over the water.



In Siem Reap, we spent the first night over the packpacker street up there, trying to hook up with my aunt and uncle, but when that didn't happen, we moved to a slightly quieter hotel that had a decent traditional dance and music show. That was nice, but a bit overpriced for the location. Very beautiful and restful though.


Then we were back in Phnom Penn where we met up with Chris Slota and his gal pal Koi for a while. It was nice seeing my brother Criminal for a while! :) We of course got him a Sharkey's mortar round shirt and took him to the killing fields.


Finally, it was time to come back to the real world. I think I may be over traveling for a while still, but I would get right back on that plane to see Tom again. I sure miss you baby.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Do you know when you'll get to see the husband again?!

eronious said...

Probably in May. The only question is whether he's coming here or I'm going there again.

Anonymous said...

Ahso!