Sunday, March 23, 2008

Full Steam Ahead!

Holy cow. My characters keep doing weird unexpected things. Today, my main character got her very first kiss. From a boy! I know! Hu? They're doing other weird things too, like abandoning all the adults in their lives to go off on foolish adventures. I swear, I have no idea what these kids are doing! It's almost like they don't even belong to me.

Oh, I'm now 3/5 of the way done with my word count and I feel like the story is just getting good. Maybe I'll have some cutting to do. I mean 30K words and I just NOW feel like it's getting good? Then again, I've been kind of feeling this way all along. Maybe I am just constantly surprised that the thing is going anywhere at all and that's all it is. Pleasant surprises day after day. Writing rules! If you've ever even considered trying it, DO IT NOW!

I wrote this scene from the boy's perspective. There is a little bit of an odd triangle going on, with one boy a very sensible choice and the other, this goof-ball named Jasper. I happen to have a thing for the goof-balls of the world though (I love you Tommie!), so I figured I'd give him the first shot at Bethany. I wanted to keep her feelings mostly a mystery, though she definitely likes this boy. I wanted the story to be able to tell itself later if Bethany chooses a different way, so I told this part of the story through Jasper's eyes. I find the farther along I get, I'm having tons of fun telling parts of the story through the eyes of people who don't know exactly what's going on. For instance, Bethany's best friend is her little brother, about 3 years her junior (suprise), but as a 13 year old, things are much different when he's looking at them than they are seen by the older kids or the adults. I love telling the story through him because I get to just observe without outright saying what's happening. Anyhoo...

Ok, so without further ado, here's my very first kiss scene. They're both about 16-ish I figure. See if this rings any first kiss bells for anyone.

******

“I like you,” he blurted. “I was going to ask you to dance at the harvest festival.”

Bethany’s lips curled up at the corners in a shy smile. “I was hoping you would,” she admitted quietly.

“If we were back home, would you still want to dance with me? I mean now that you’re to be off on an adventure and now that you’ve met… other fellows?” Jake asked awkwardly, looking at his shoes.

Bethany took a tentative half-step closer to Jasper. “I’d dance with you no matter how many adventures I’d had. Darren is a nice boy, but he’s not interesting the way you are.”

“Interesting?” Jasper looked up at Bethany’s face. Her lips looked soft and plump like ripe berries in the summer and her eyes seemed to look right into his soul. He suddenly wished that he’d never embellished his stories. He wished she knew everything about him and he wished that she would still find him interesting anyway. Ashamed, his eyes dropped to her feet. His palms were wet with sweat and he could hear his own heartbeat pounding in his ears. His tongue felt thick and dry. He hoped the meager moonlight would not be bright enough to show how his face burned. How he burned.

Jasper could hear Bethany’s breathing. Steady but faster than normal. He licked his lips and ran his hand through his hair. How could he explain how he felt? He wanted to correct all the stories he’d told her right then and there, but knew it would ruin the moment. This uncomfortable, awkward, gut-wrenching tender moment. He looked up at her again. Her berry smile revealed her teeth slightly, and her head was cocked slightly to one side, questioning or daring, he didn’t know which.

Before he realized what he was doing, his hand was on the back of her neck, which was long and delicate and her eyes widened slightly in surprise. Then he stepped close to her, his other hand encircling her waist, his body pressed against hers. His lips brushed hers softly and the stiffness seemed to drain from her body as she leaned into him.

He could smell her then. Could feel the soft wool of her clothes under his hand. The smoothness of her hair against the back of his other hand. He simply stood with his eyes closed breathing her in for a moment, then pressed his lips to hers again, this time with more certainty, more urgency. He felt her arms slide into place, circling his neck, resting on his shoulders. The rest of the world dropped away.

Finally, he leaned back and opened his eyes. Her cheeks were rosy and her lips were wet as she looked at him from under her lashes. He’d never seen any girl as beautiful in all his life.

Jasper kept hold of her waist but ran his fingers through her hair. “I want to come with you, Beth. I want to be with you and I want to help keep you safe. I’m not really as great as you think I am, but I want to be. Let me come and prove myself to you,” he said in a quiet, husky voice.

9 comments:

MaryEllen/Mom said...

Thanks for the glimps.
Keep on trucking.

angi said...

Coming along quite nicely. I am proud and impressed. =)
Hey, you can check out some pics of my kiddos if you like on mySpace page- myspace.com/angellaswalling.
Let me know if you are EVER going to be this way again.
Much love,
Ang

eronious said...

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the encouragement!

I'll definitely check out your page when I get home. Stupid work network blocks myspace. :)

Mike Leslie said...

Hi Heather...its Mike Leslie, remember me from Music Company? I just got back in touch with Angi and she gave me your blog address... wanted to say hello, it has been ages. If you like you can email me at mikedaguitarguy@yahoo.com, I would love to hear from you.
take it easy,
Mike Leslie

eronious said...

Yeah, man, I remember you. Hope all's well with you! Boy am I glad I didn't stay in music. Haha! Rough biz. Govt. contracting is way more forgiving. :) Be well, brother man.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heather, I jsut put up a bunch of Music Co. pics on mySpace. You should check them out. Boy, were we hot!!!!
Ang

eronious said...

Ang, is that your profile? It says you don't have any pictures uploaded. Can you verify you are who you say you are? What was the gay guy's name that I hung out with a lot in MC? I wouldn't bug you, but I've just not seen you post as that link before and there's a nasty bot going around the internet right now. Better safe than sorry, right? ;)

angi said...

Hi Heath, sorry was having some trouble remembering my blog password as I only ever use it to post on your site. So I used my aim one...too many to keep track of. Anyway, his name was CRAZY Ross. So I am not the evil bot of which you speak ;)
The pics are posted on mySpace page. Let me know if you have trouble. By the way, can I get your actual email address? I know I had it once and it would be much easier than this as a mode of communication.
Hope you're doing well!

Anonymous said...

Nice. It's just like real writing. ;)